About Me

My photo
Born in Santa Monica, California, I was raised in the small bedroom community of Sunkist Park that borders Culver City, Playa del Rey, Mar Vista and Venice. I attended Venice High School, West LA Community College and California Institute of the Arts. My studies included English, English Literature, Poetry, Creative Writing, Choir, Classical Voice, Shakespeare, Musical Theater, Television and Film Acting and Art History. In 1980, I relocated to the Pacific Northwest and in 1982 I married Kurt Wolf in Corvallis, Oregon. During the course of our long journey together, I have remained devoted to not only my husband, but to my friends and family, and the arts. What defines me most is my passion for expression through art. I’m an avid reader, writer and poet.I also enjoy painting and photography. Additionally, some folks consider me a pretty good cook.




























Email Susie Rosso Wolf

If you have any questions about "New Prairie Woman", "Saving Susie", my "Phoetry", Montana, or writing in general, please email me directly at: GrumpySusie@msn.com — Looking forward to hearing from you. I hope you enjoy "New Prairie Woman". ~ Susie

Thursday, July 14, 2011

05.S03 Chapter Five, Snippet Three

New Prairie Woman
Susie Rosso Wolf
Chapter Five, con't


              The girls came running over to Uncle Kurt as he got out of the truck and Brenda was opening my door to help me out. I reached over to the back seat and pulled my Canada crutch up and pointed it her way. Brenda grabbed onto the tip of the crutch and put it down on the ground for me to grab onto. Once I was out of the truck I turned to looked her square in the eye. “Brenda, tell me one more time that you did not tell Robert that we’re coming to see him.”
               “No Sue, I swear, I only told him that there would be a big surprise but I didn’t say anything about you guys.”
            “And the girls? You don’t think they spilled the beans?”
            “Sue, stop stressing! It doesn’t matter! You’re here! That’s all we care about!” I exhaled with exasperation and felt that old lack of trust creep into my common sense. But in the end, I supposed that it didn't really matter. What mattered was that we were making an attempt to bury the hatchet. So I dropped the subject and ended my intuitive instinct to probe the facts. My inner voice, however, continued to doubt her word and I did suspect that she spoke to Robert about our coming to greet him as his flight arrived. Losing control of the situation was difficult for me, being the control freak that I am, but trying to control Brenda was an impossible task. I smiled, held onto my crutch and gave Brenda a loving embrace.
            “Who wants a cookie?” I asked. The girls both came running as I lifted a food storage bag full of my home made biscotti from the back seat.
            “What’s this Aunt Susie?” Snowflake asked.
            “Biscotti,” I told her as Cricket looked on with fascinated eyes.
             I've never seen a pissgoti before.”
            “No? Oh, that’s tragic,” I said. “That’s just not right. All little Italian girls should have biscotti, it’s a must, a tradition, a law!”
            “It’s something Italian?” Cricket asked.
            “Yes it is, oh yes, and a very important food group of the Italian diet! Coffee and Espresso simply isn't the same without biscotti to go along with it.” Handing both girls a chocolate, chocolate chip almond biscotti, their eyes grew larger and their smiles were bursting at the seams of their beautiful little mouths. Cricket put the biscotti up to her nose to sniff it before taking a bite while Snowflake bit one end of hers and began chewing.
            “This is really good, Aunt Susie, I can’t believe I’ve been missing this all my life,” Snowflake proclaimed. Cricket bit a tiny little taste then took off a large chunk while rolling her eyes in her funny comical way that I was growing accustomed to.
            “Hey! Where’s mine?” Brenda grabbed the bag out of my hand and dove into it and pulled out two for her.
            “You are a really good cook Aunt Susie, what else is in that box back there?”
            “Well, Cricket, I brought some food for your daddy that he really likes, I thought we could have a little party out here after his plane lands.” Cricket looped her arm through her sisters arm and both girls began jumping up and down like they were riding on pogo sticks.
            “We’re having a party!” Snowflake screamed. “We’re having a love party, a love party with Daddy!”
            “Love party? Where did you get that expression from?” I asked.
            “Hugh?” She moaned out.
            “Who taught you about love parties?”
            “Daddy has love parties with us all the time.”
            “Yes, we have love parties all the time.” Cricket said, agreeing with her sister as she helped herself to another biscotti from the bag, then putting one arm through my arm, clinging to me, pressing her love into my heart. Snowflake followed her little sisters lead and slid onto my left side, pushing the crutch out of her way and suddenly both of my darling little angel nieces were hugging onto me, loving me, with the truest, purest love I have ever felt in my life. The depth of their feelings moved me to tears, uncontrollable tears that rolled down my face as joy leapt from my heart. Kurt and Brenda watched as Snowflake and Cricket washed away all of my stress, nervousness and fear. They held onto me for what seemed like an eternity as the love filled me up with a forever kind of feeling. The kind of feeling that never goes away no matter what happens to you or where you go, whatever road you travel in life whether that road be uphill or downhill, you will always have that moment to reflect on and feel the joy over and over again. The love they gave to me that day carried me on the long walk from the parking lot to the airport entrance. Kurt led the way to the area where Robert would be arriving and we all sat down in wide, comfortable, black chairs that were lined up against a window. The seats faced the down escalator that passengers rode from upstairs at the departure gates. We sat down, and waited. 

1 comment:

Thank you for your Following my Blog. Your comments are most appreciated.

~ Susie Rosso Wolf








































ADD a COMMENT to Facebook

Index





















Click LIKE Button to Send to Facebook

New Prairie Woman Web Page